Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Live It!


Living Out A LifeStyle
by Sheila R. Rose

As LifeStylers, we don’t just talk about the kind of life we want to live. We actually Strive for it. Attain it. Live it.

But it’s not always easy.

Despite fair warning, I naively imagined that living outside the confines of a 9 to 5 corporate job would feel wonderful all the time. As a fledgling entrepreneur, I would float through my days working on ideas and doing things I loved. However, when the opportunity presented itself, I felt paralyzed. Fear, anxiety, doubt and worry became the kind of emotions that hung out all the time. The monkey in my head would just not shut up.

Yet recently something in me clicked. I realized the voices would never go away, but I could combat them by strengthening my thoughts and actions in a way that better served me.

Here are 5 ways I’m learning to THRIVE.

1. Focus.
It’s so important to dream big, yet focus small. If I get an idea in my head, I can take it from ground zero to international phenomenon in two seconds flat. I love the dreamer girl in me, but dreaming big can hinder functioning well. I get so wrapped up in the enormity of the dream that the steps to get there seem impossible. So now I focus on small steps I can take today to get me to where I need to be tomorrow. It’s so much easier to do what I can actually see ahead.

2. Work hard.
Nothing replaces good honest hard work. When you give 110% of yourself to a project, you walk away from it a better person than when you started. I’m also realizing hard work is addictive. Once you get in the groove, you want to keep on going. This proves that good habits are as easily picked up as bad ones.

3. Be bold.
Take risks and don’t be afraid to make bold moves. The first time we do anything it feels uncomfortable. I, highly doubt, any of us just jumped on a bike for the first time and felt fearless going down the street. As I start my own business, sometimes I have no idea what I’m doing. Like not a clue. So I have to be bold enough to raise my hand and ask questions. I have to be bold enough to approach clients and ask for the job. I have to be bold. Period.

4. Evolve.
Face it. Our desires change overtime. The things we thought we wanted or the things that seemed so important sometimes no longer do. Living a rigid a LifeStyle (even if it is always to live a carefree one) can stifle and suffocate a person. That’s why it’s important for me to see my LifeStyle as dynamic and constantly changing. Evolution requires us to remain flexible.

5. Believe.
There will be times when I’m up and times when I’m down. Sometimes others will praise me and sometimes they won’t. I will face hurdles and stumbling blocks. It’s part of the game and the reality of living life outside the comfort zone. So I have to have an unwavering belief in myself. Stay humble when I’m up and confident when I’m down. Dreams do come true. They happen around us every day. People do live out the LifeStyles of their dreams. You and I can too.

Living out a purposeful LifeStlye is possible. We just have to stop thinking about it and start doing something about it.

No comments: