Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Let's Kombucha


Do you Kombucha?

Part of living a kick-ass lifestyle is through treating our body temples with the utmost care. There is a direct correlation between our success in business and how we maintain our health. With all the information we have at our disposal, there is no excuse for us not to take our health seriously. I mean, come on (pause, pause, pause), seriously.

So every Sunday I shop at Sprouts. Sometimes I like to try new things, and I feel kinda hip and cool when I try a product in what I label the "new agey" category. Last Sunday, I bought what I thought was iced tea. It was $2.89 a bottle. Honestly, it was one of those impulse buy decisions I feel obligated to make as a marketer. It's my "do as I do" philosophy in marketing. If I want others to buy products and/or services based on impulsive decision making, then I should at least do the same.

Monday morning rolls around. I wake up and grab this iced tea concoction from my frig as I'm running out the door.

Snap, I open the bottle. I didn't really realize my iced tea was carbonated. Sip. Ahhh. Tastes surprisingly refreshing. Even a bit sweet, so I check the label to make sure there is no added sugar. Nope. Then I look closely into the bottle and this gooey stuff is floating around. Ewww.

Finally, I start to read the packaging. I realize I am Kombucha'ing. Kombucha is basically a tea made by fermented cultures. The drink dates back to 250 B.C. in China where it was referred to as an "Immortal Health Elixir." It has recently become popular with cancer patients because it has been known to help the body heal. The fermentation process produces traces of alcohol in the drink (0.5 to 1.5%).

While I was impressed to read about its potential health benefits, I actually found this low calorie drink to be quite tasty and refreshing. Way tastier than a Diet Coke.

So I am on a personal mission to make Kombucha this hippest drink around.

1 comment:

tim andren said...

Kombucha will become the new Monavie! I've gotta try this stuff.